North Country Trail Hike 100 Challenge Returns For A Second Year
Following a highly successful Hike 100 Challenge to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the national park system in 2016, the North Country Trail Association is once again offering incentives for people to get out and explore the trail this year. The Hike 100 Challenge was completed by more than 1,500 people from 26 states last year. This year a new patch is available to those who complete 100 miles, and other prizes will be offered throughout the year. New this year, is a grand prize open to anyone who completes two activities in the Build It Challenge.
The North Country Trail is a National Scenic Trail that spans 4,600 miles from eastern New York to central North Dakota. Of the seven states it passes through (ND, MN, WI, MI, OH, PA, NY), Michigan has the most trail mileage (875 miles) and is home to the trail’s national headquarters in Lowell. In addition to Lowell, Middleville, White Cloud, Fife Lake, Petoskey, Mackinaw City, Marquette, Kalkaska, St. Ignace and Grand Marais are designated as “trail towns” – described by the NCT as “a community through which the North Country Trail passes that supports hikers with services, promotes the Trail to its citizens and embraces the Trail as a resource to be protected and celebrated.”
The Build It Challenge encourages people to get involved beyond hiking. Activities are broken down into two categories, you need to complete at least one from each group.
- Go on a group hike with a chapter, affiliate, or partner
- Participate in a chapter, affiliate or partner workday or event
- Pick up trash on a one mile trail segment
- Support the NCTA financially
- Learn about trail building by watching NCTA YouTube videos and sharing them
Spread The Word:
- Distribute NCTA brochures or NCT maps to local libraries, schools, businesses
- Invite 10 friends to like the NCTA Facebook page
- Follow the NCTA on Instagram, or Twitter and invite five friends
- Take a friend who’s never been on the NCT out for a hike on it
- Share your hiking story on social media
- Share the NCTA intro video, or make your own trail video and share it
This year’s Hike 100 Challenge started on January 1st and runs through the end of the year. Those wishing to participate should register at https://northcountrytrail.org/get-involved/special-events/hike-100-challenge/, log their miles, then return to the website once 100 miles are complete. You can expect the patch and a certificate in the mail a few weeks after that. Use #Hike100NCT on social media like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, and be sure to follow the North Country Trail accounts for updates on giveaways, trail conditions, and more.
Some of our favorite segments of the North Country Trail are: